The Top 5 Mo’s of Australian Sport!
1. Big Merv ‘the Swerve’ Hughes: A mo so valuable and engrained in Australian culture it was actually insured for $370,000 by the Australian Government. This is without a doubt the best moustache to have ever graced competitive sport. It is thick and lush like the Daintree Rainforest and like the Daintree, there is probably something living in there too.
2. Robert Dieperdicomo: More affectionately known as ‘Dipper’, this AFL legend had a mo that ran parallel with Hawthorn’s premiership success through the late 1980′s. We here at The Cheap Shot have been asking ourselves; do chunky moustaches give athletes superpowers? The results are in. Yes.
3. David Boon: Australian cricket has produced some great mo’s in the past and Boony’s was definitely up there. We are a bit hesitant to suggest that the fat 5ft 2 Tasmania affectionately known as the ‘keg on legs’ did much damage on the circuit with this Mo. However, Boony loved grooming his mo just as much as he enjoyed wetting his whistle with an ice cold VB. A true Australian hero and a ripper mo.
4. Dennis Lillee: Lillee’s Mo would have yielded him more squirrel then an oak tree in the 70′s. The greatest Australian fast bowler to have played the game, not to mention single-handedly making the mo a must have fashion accessory to all men in the 1970’s. This mo has been such an Australian icon that a statue has been erected in dedication for the way that it’s influenced Australian cricket and culture.
5. Leigh Matthews: Lethal Leigh grew his mo just the way he played the game. Hard-work, dedication and extreme passion. Not only did he get the results on the field, he got results above his upper lip. A mo that would strike fear into opponents as well his team mates, it followed him from his playing days at Hawthorn to his coaching days at Collingwood and Brisbane. Truly inspirational.
Honourable mention to our old mate Derek Kickett, Decka had a little pearler of a Mo as well. So we have thrown in this little gem as a sign of our respect. The greatest goal ever!
The Cheap Shot